Be Safe in your home
Take care with candles
Candles and tee-lights are a wonderful way to help create a relaxing space in the home or garden and mark special occasions.
They do however bring fire into the home and can cause accidents, injury and deaths.
To keep you and your loved ones safe, here’s a few things to remember:
- Keep candles away from curtains, furniture and fabrics such as cushions, blinds and clothes
- Keep lit candles out of drafts – the wind can easily blow the flame onto something that could catch fire
- Put candles in candle holders that are stable and upright - place these on a heat resistant surface
- Take care with votive or scented candles - these turn to liquid to release their perfume. Put them in a glass or metal holder to be safe
- Don’t put candles on the top of the TV or under shelves
- Be careful to keep your hair away from the flame if you lean near it
- Keep pets and children away from candles
- If you’re burning several candles, keep them at least 10cm apart from each other
- Don’t move candles when they’re burning and don’t let matches fall into the hot wax
- When you leave a room or go to bed, put out all candles
- Double check that candles are actually out – candles that have been put out can go on smouldering.